BlackStone

Oracle Connection Issues

HI there,

I have successfully managed to get the new Collabion charts connecting to oracle in our dev invironment (1 WFE / 1 App server) but in production it is failing with the following the standard error:

"Could not connect o selected data provider. Please, check the network connection or make sure the database settings are correct."

Oracle client is installed on all WFEs (2) and APP servers (2). I use exactly the same connection entries as dev and it fails. I can connect to the database on all servers via odbc connection via oracle client with no worries. I've checked the ULS logs and can't find anything there meaningful as to why its failing. Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting this connection issue? This is my first exposure to Collabion Charts and feel it would be a great product to add to our SharePoint Environment.

kind regards,

Blacky..

Hi Rahul, thanks for you time!

The oracle client we are using is the win64 11gR2 version. The error in the log is as follows:

Title

Could not connect to selected data provider. Please, check the network connection or make sure database settings are correct

Date

11/01/2012 2:52 PM

Type

Error

<a name="SPBookmark_Exception">Exception

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

Stack Trace

at System.Data.OracleClient.OCI.DetermineClientVersion()

at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection.OpenOnLocalTransaction(String userName, String password, String serverName, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean unicode, Boolean omitOracleConnectionName)

at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection..ctor(OracleConnectionString connectionOptions)

at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection.Open()

at Collabion.Charts.Business.Providers.Base.SqlDataProvider.Connect()

at Collabion.Charts.Business.WebService.Connect(String webPartId, String name)

at Collabion.Charts.WebServicePage.OnInit(EventArgs e)

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

Could you please try installing Oracle client software version 8.1.7 in your client and check again, in case if you are still getting this issue then please refer to http://moustafa-araf...res-oracle.html to solve the issue.

I hope this helps.

Hi again .... all is working well now. Installing the previous version wasn't an option but I did follow the instructions for giving authenticated users read/execute rights over the oraclehome directory and as of today, connections are working as exptected.

Thanks again for your time ... charting product is great! A bit off topic though, is this product actually free? I can't seem to find licencing information anywhere for it ?

cheers and thanks again !

Blacky.

Hi,

We are glad your issue is resolved.

I am afraid, it is not free, since it is in beta we are giving it free so that we improve it more and make it an exciting product by getting users' feedback.