Sign in to follow this  
Len Basara

Microsoft Office Excel File

Greetings:

Do you have any 'How To" documents on the processes that is needed to use data from an Excel file? The reason I am asking is because I am having issues connecting to an Excel file.

I created a basic Excel file with the following columns and rows:

1 4.5

2 6.3

3 1.2

4 8.4

5 5.5

6 9.1

7 2.1

8 4.6

9 7.3

I uploaded the file to the same location I am creating my chart in. When I attempt to connect to the file, I am getting the attached error. Any guideance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

post-27449-0-09798700-1329497222_thumb.jpg

Guest vishal@fusioncharts

Hi Len,

When you configure excel services on SharePoint, you need to add the 'Trusted Locations' as part of its configuration. It is a mandatory step as per SharePoint security model for Excel Services.

Steps to add a trusted location

on SP 2010: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff191194.aspx

on SP 2007: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263009(v=office.12).aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Vishal

Hi Len,

In order to work with Excel File option, SharePoint server must have Excel Services configured and the location in which you have uploaded the Excel File is added in the Trusted Location option of Excel Services.

Therefore, request you to please check it once and try again.

Hi Len,

In order to work with Excel File option, SharePoint server must have Excel Services configured and the location in which you have uploaded the Excel File is added in the Trusted Location option of Excel Services.

Therefore, request you to please check it once and try again.

Hi Rahul,

Does that mean I need to have SharePoint Enterprise edition to use Fusion Charts with Excel Files

Regards,

Hemanth

Hi folks

Unfortunately this is a known shortcoming right now. A possible workaround could be to save your excel file as a CSV and use the CSV data source option.

Thanks

Vishal

There is a very useful tool for managing large quantities of information, but it's not always easy to combine data from different tables in a meaningful way. This softwatr for Microsoft Excel is a handy add-on that automates the merging process, making it easy in http://www.merge-excel-files.com

Edited by amandamaomao

I don't know about configuring "trusted locations" at the server side of SharePoint but I can assure you that I'm able to link to an Excel file just fine using the STANDARD version of SharePoint. We don't have the Enterprise version and things are working fine with Excel. The Excel sheet must be hosted in a SharePoint library on the same site as the Chart but that seems reasonable enough.

I don't know about configuring "trusted locations" at the server side of SharePoint but I can assure you that I'm able to link to an Excel file just fine using the STANDARD version of SharePoint. We don't have the Enterprise version and things are working fine with Excel. The Excel sheet must be hosted in a SharePoint library on the same site as the Chart but that seems reasonable enough.

Hi jhbrooks,

Could you tell me which version of SharePoint and Collabion Charts are you using?

Thanks