Sign in to follow this  
Andre Steenveld

Unexpected Values When Setting Json Data

Hello all,

I have been working with FusionCharts for a while now and I noticed some rather strange behaviour when setting JSON data on a chart to be rendered.

Take this code for example:

var data = {
   /* ... snip ... */
   chart: {
     /* ... snip ... */
     showlegend: true
   }
 };

chart.setJSONData( data );
 chart.render( domNode );

If chart is a pie chart I would expect it to have a legend but the chart renders and there is no legend.

According to the documentation we will have to use 1 or 0 to indicate so I tried this:

var data = {
   /* ... snip ... */
     /* ... snip ... */
     showlegend: new Number( true ) // new Number( true ) == 1 but new Number( true ) !== 1
   }
 };

chart.render( domNode );

Even though we have a Number now rendering the chart will throw a TypeError saying "Cannot read property 'pieYScale' of undefined".

The work around is pretty obvious though:

var data = {
   /* ... snip ... */
     /* ... snip ... */
     showlegend: legend ? 1 : 0,

/* or you could automagically cast it to a number, this could cause some unexpected results though, some examples */
     showlegend: new Number( legend ) + 0,
     showlegend: ~~ new Number( legend )
   }
 };

chart.render( domNode );

legend being something that is truthy or falsy and sticking it in with the ?:-operator will make sure a literal is placed when you actually just need a boolean there.

My questions:

• If any other value then 1 is supplied the legend will not render, but as long as it is a number literal nothing happens. Why is this, why not just use a boolean or the javascript type unsafe compare operator (==)?
  • Also adding the showlegend property to the configuration of anything else then a Pie or Pie3d will cause it to show the message "Invalid data", is there a reason why its not just silently ignored?

Best regards,

André

Guest Sumedh

Hello all,

I have been working with FusionCharts for a while now and I noticed some rather strange behaviour when setting JSON data on a chart to be rendered.

Take this code for example:

var data = {
   /* ... snip ... */
     /* ... snip ... */
     showlegend: true
   }
 };

chart.render( domNode );

If chart is a pie chart I would expect it to have a legend but the chart renders and there is no legend.

According to the documentation we will have to use 1 or 0 to indicate so I tried this:

var data = {
   /* ... snip ... */
     /* ... snip ... */
     showlegend: new Number( true ) // new Number( true ) == 1 but new Number( true ) !== 1
   }
 };

chart.render( domNode );

Even though we have a Number now rendering the chart will throw a TypeError saying "Cannot read property 'pieYScale' of undefined".

The work around is pretty obvious though:

var data = {
   /* ... snip ... */
     /* ... snip ... */
     showlegend: legend ? 1 : 0,

/* or you could automagically cast it to a number, this could cause some unexpected results though, some examples */
     showlegend: new Number( legend ) + 0,
     showlegend: ~~ new Number( legend )
   }
 };

chart.render( domNode );

legend being something that is truthy or falsy and sticking it in with the ?:-operator will make sure a literal is placed when you actually just need a boolean there.

My questions:

• If any other value then 1 is supplied the legend will not render, but as long as it is a number literal nothing happens. Why is this, why not just use a boolean or the javascript type unsafe compare operator (==)?
  • Also adding the showlegend property to the configuration of anything else then a Pie or Pie3d will cause it to show the message "Invalid data", is there a reason why its not just silently ignored?

Best regards,

André

Hi,

Apologies for delaying.

Could you please some provide information on following points?

> What FusionCharts version used at your end?

> Can you paste your sample code and XML here? So that we can test.