brendanheyu

Ie8/ie7 + Modernizr/respond = Fail

Hi all!

When I use the HTML5boilerplate with modernizr and respond js it seems that it stops older IE browsers. They fail to render the charts I want.

The error I get is:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'attributes': object is null or undefined 
FusionCharts.js, line 135 character 353

If I remove the reference to /js/libs/modernizr-2.5.3-respond-1.1.0.min.js then it runs fine, but that breaks the overall layout (it's a responsive layout - hello mobile!)

Any tips will help me a bunch! The attached to images show IE9 - one in IE9 mode and another with IE9 in IE8 dev mode with the fail in progress!

Thanks all :)

post-21285-0-64553400-1339132201_thumb.png

post-21285-0-74263100-1339132213_thumb.png

Guest Sumedh

Hi all!

When I use the HTML5boilerplate with modernizr and respond js it seems that it stops older IE browsers. They fail to render the charts I want.

The error I get is:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'attributes': object is null or undefined 
FusionCharts.js, line 135 character 353

If I remove the reference to /js/libs/modernizr-2.5.3-respond-1.1.0.min.js then it runs fine, but that breaks the overall layout (it's a responsive layout - hello mobile!)

Any tips will help me a bunch! The attached to images show IE9 - one in IE9 mode and another with IE9 in IE8 dev mode with the fail in progress!

Thanks all :)

Hi,

Can you provide a live URL of your demo?

Can you paste your sample code here?

Hi there,

The site won't be live for some time - even then it's an extranet style site - so seeing it running won't be happening anytime soon. :)

I could add a zip attachment with a cut down example of the page and js files?

Ok,

I have attached an example of the problem below.

I'm using an Initializr (http://www.initializr.com/) based bootstrap. Has all any self respecting time poor developer would want.

Would love to know which way to take this problem, so thanks for taking a look. :)

example.zip

Guest Sumedh

Ok,

I have attached an example of the problem below.

I'm using an Initializr (http://www.initializr.com/) based bootstrap. Has all any self respecting time poor developer would want.

Would love to know which way to take this problem, so thanks for taking a look. :)

Hi,

Thanks for pointing it out.

We will get back to you soon.

Hi,

Thanks for having a look, appreciate that very much!

Just checking in - I have tried a few things but no luck unfortunately.

Brendan

Hi there...

I'm back on this project now - I was hoping someone may have come across this issue?

Any luck on finding the cause?

Thanks!

Brendan

Hi,

Solution:

With your combination of libraries on IE 6, 7 and 8, browser is failing to parse XML using IE's XMLIsland feature.

A very simple way to fix this would be to disable IE-Safe XML parsing by setting "allowIESafeXMLParsing" FusionCharts library options to false.

To do the same, please use the following piece of code anywhere after inclusion of FusionCharts library and before setting data on any chart.

FusionCharts.options.allowIESafeXMLParsing = false;

Working sample on IE 6:

post-3428-0-08427200-1343895000_thumb.png