michael.sartika

Runtime Exception - Unable To Find The Container Dom Element

Hi there,

I am trying to create a drill down MSLine chart, I generate the XML using Java code and then push it to JSP page to be rendered.

The parent chart is rendered correctly but when I clicked on the line it throw me a runtime exception (please refer to screenshot attached).

I have also attached the xml file, please note the XML works fine in most browsers if I am testing this locally (Not through the web server).

It does not however work for Chrome, I have attempted fixes issues posted in the forum (updating to latest fusion charts, global setting, etc) but still not solving my problem.

Additional note: also tested using your example Code > Javascript > Basics works fine on firefox but not in Chrome

Thanks

post-29347-0-12527800-1346718558_thumb.png

post-29347-0-33609500-1346718569_thumb.png

application.xml

Guest Bindhu

Hi,

Can you please share the entire project folder for testing purposes?

We would be interested in the HTML file and the version of FusionCharts suite that you are currently using.

Hi,

Can you please share the entire project folder for testing purposes?

We would be interested in the HTML file and the version of FusionCharts suite that you are currently using.

Hi Bindhu,

Unfortunately I cannot share the entire project folder, this is because besides that the project is under strict license and it is also consists of many projects integrated together.

I can however share you the JSP page source code and the FusionCharts javascripts we used (I hope this could give you a picture).

Furthermore, could you also please answer my other question regarding the chart does not work in Chrome, this does not work even when I tested it to load locally (while it works for other browsers).

I have enclosed two zip files, one is for local testing (works in all browsers except in Chrome) and the other is the one used by web application (throwing exception), both tests actually utilise same fusion chart javascript version (3.2.3).

I would also highly appreciate if you could also put this issue on priority as we need this to be fixed as immediate as possible? My priority is to make this work in Firefox through the application first and then we can solve the cross browsers issue afterwards.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

WebServer.zip

LocalTest.zip

Furthermore, could you also please answer my other question regarding the chart does not work in Chrome, this does not work even when I tested it to load locally (while it works for other browsers).

Hi Michael,

For sometime, Chrome is internally updating it's own Flash player and after a small investigation, I find that chrome's Flash Player is storing the Global Security settings separately. Again, when I tried to configure Chrome-Flash-Player's Global Security Settings, it seems to be not responsive enough to include the paths and directories containing the SWF files.

This is just for your information, by "not responsive enough", I mean - I am unable to include a folder as trusted location. Even, after I added the SWF files individually in the trusted location, this Flash Player does not seem to trust them and thus not allowing any communication between JavaScript and the SWF.

Hence, this. I guess, we need to report this to Chorme.

Meanwhile, since you need to test this locally, I can suggest you a work-around - disable the Chrome's native Flash Player (PepperFlash) and enable the system's Flash Player (or Chrome's secondary Flash Player !! - if available)

STEPS:

1. Open chrome://plugins/ in Chorme (write chrome://plugins/ in Chorme's Address bar and press Enter)

This will give you a list of Plugins installed for Chrome

2. Go to the section which lists Flash or Shockwave Flash

You are likely to find 2 or 3 Flash Player Plugins installed and probably one of them is disabled.

In my machine I find these 3 listed:

A.

Shockwave Flash

Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31

Version: 11.3.31.230

Location: C:\Users\sudipto.choudhury\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.83\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll

Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)

B.

Name: Shockwave Flash

Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300

Version: 11,3,300,271

Location: C:\Users\sudipto.choudhury\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.83\gcswf32.dll

Type: NPAPI

C.

Description: Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

Version: 11,2,202,235

Location: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_11_2_202_235.dll

The first one is likely to remain enabled and that is the Chrome's new generation PepperFlash plugin and causing this issue.

3. Click "Disable" link present below the description of the plugin which has the PepperFlash with DLL named pepflashplayer.dll.

4. If required Enable the rest or any of the of the Shockwave Flash Plugins

For example, I enable the plugin for AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.83\gcswf32.dll

Once done, please reload the sample and try again.

Hi Michael,

For sometime, Chrome is internally updating it's own Flash player and after a small investigation, I find that chrome's Flash Player is storing the Global Security settings separately. Again, when I tried to configure Chrome-Flash-Player's Global Security Settings, it seems to be not responsive enough to include the paths and directories containing the SWF files.

This is just for your information, by "not responsive enough", I mean - I am unable to include a folder as trusted location. Even, after I added the SWF files individually in the trusted location, this Flash Player does not seem to trust them and thus not allowing any communication between JavaScript and the SWF.

Hence, this. I guess, we need to report this to Chorme.

Meanwhile, since you need to test this locally, I can suggest you a work-around - disable the Chrome's native Flash Player (PepperFlash) and enable the system's Flash Player (or Chrome's secondary Flash Player !! - if available)

STEPS:

1. Open chrome://plugins/ in Chorme (write chrome://plugins/ in Chorme's Address bar and press Enter)

This will give you a list of Plugins installed for Chrome

2. Go to the section which lists Flash or Shockwave Flash

You are likely to find 2 or 3 Flash Player Plugins installed and probably one of them is disabled.

In my machine I find these 3 listed:

A.

Shockwave Flash

Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31

Version: 11.3.31.230

Location: C:\Users\sudipto.choudhury\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.83\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll

Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)

B.

Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300

Version: 11,3,300,271

Location: C:\Users\sudipto.choudhury\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.83\gcswf32.dll

C.

Description: Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

Version: 11,2,202,235

Location: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_11_2_202_235.dll

The first one is likely to remain enabled and that is the Chrome's new generation PepperFlash plugin and causing this issue.

3. Click "Disable" link present below the description of the plugin which has the PepperFlash with DLL named pepflashplayer.dll.

4. If required Enable the rest or any of the of the Shockwave Flash Plugins

For example, I enable the plugin for AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.83\gcswf32.dll

Once done, please reload the sample and try again.

Hi Sudipto,

This works, thanks for that, however as I mentioned in my previous post, my priority will be to make it work through the web application (presumably in FF or Chrome).

It will be highly appreciated if you could help with the investigation as well.

Kindest regards,

Michael

my priority will be to make it work through the web application (presumably in FF or Chrome).

Hi Micheal,

The issue seems to be a bit tricky as your web server example is working fine (without run-time exception etc.) at our end.

However, I find that you are using a bit older version of FusionCharts.js and would recommend to update to the latest version (I guess that would be free upgrade) which has various issues fixed.

Yet, before that I am attaching here the Trial version of the latest JavaScript files which you may try replacing once and check.

Also, will it be possible for you to test the sample (with your data and latest Trial FusionCharts.js) that I attach here?

Also, the web server code you sent seems to be gathered from a part of a UI (and possibly from a browser's view source or through DOM inspection) which has dependency on other framework. In case you are generating FusionCharts using a wrapper library, we also need to check the chart rendering server side code. You may replace the data and all proprietary items with stubs.

LinkedCharts.zip

Hi Sudpito,

I have actually tested the scenario using latest update, I am wondering the MSLine.swf has slightly difference in size though, as I will be testing this and while you're seemed to be online at the moment.

Could you advise what are possible causes from FusionCharts javascript that it throws the specified exception?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Micheal,

The issue seems to be a bit tricky as your web server example is working fine (without run-time exception etc.) at our end.

However, I find that you are using a bit older version of FusionCharts.js and would recommend to update to the latest version (I guess that would be free upgrade) which has various issues fixed.

Yet, before that I am attaching here the Trial version of the latest JavaScript files which you may try replacing once and check.

Also, will it be possible for you to test the sample (with your data and latest Trial FusionCharts.js) that I attach here?

Also, the web server code you sent seems to be gathered from a part of a UI (and possibly from a browser's view source or through DOM inspection) which has dependency on other framework. In case you are generating FusionCharts using a wrapper library, we also need to check the chart rendering server side code. You may replace the data and all proprietary items with stubs.

Michael,

I was inactive for long though my machine mostly never goes offline.

MSLine.swf is the Trial version and possibly the size difference is due to this. The SWF file is not not important here for this issue as the the issue is sourced at FusionCharts.js.

Hence, I am more concerned about the version of the JavaScript(JS) files. I found that the JS files you were using had been a bit old and hence I sent you the FusionCharts XT SR4 JavaScript files.

Please update based on your tests using the files I have sent.

Sudipto,

As I mentioned in in my previous post, I have tested my case with your update (SR4) and the problem still occurs. Just to make sure I have re-tested that again this morning and I could confirm to you that it still occurs.

Could you please advise any other alternative solution?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

I was inactive for long though my machine mostly never goes offline.

MSLine.swf is the Trial version and possibly the size difference is due to this. The SWF file is not not important here for this issue as the the issue is sourced at FusionCharts.js.

Hence, I am more concerned about the version of the JavaScript(JS) files. I found that the JS files you were using had been a bit old and hence I sent you the FusionCharts XT SR4 JavaScript files.

Please update based on your tests using the files I have sent.