Kisor

World Map Target Countries (x n y coordinates)

Hi guys,

I have some questions on Fusion Map :

I would like to do a Country Hit map similar to the example given in the Gallery.

From what I understand, longitude and latitude cannot be used, instead x and y coordinates need to be used.

However, I would like to know how do I get the x and y coordinates for each countries. The example in the gallery does not have a complete entry of countries. I do not find anything similar in the documentation either.

One way I could do it would be identifying the capital city coordinates (from the list of cities given in the documentation)

However from what i see in the documentation, the list is not complete as a number of countries is not included there.

How can I solve this problem?

Is there anywhere where i can get the list of x and y coordinates for every country?

One more question is whether this map is scalable. Meaning if i resize the map, do i need to change my x and y coordinates?

Hi,

We have  a new World Map (will have public release soon) having all countries as entities. However, if you want to show the hits as markers you would need (as you have pointed out rightly) to create markers or use the existing markers of capital cities created by us.

We also have an XML ready with markers for major cities for the map World8.swf (not yet release)

Moreover, for the new world map we have defined all capital markers.

>>"One more question is whether this map is scalable. Meaning if i resize the map, do i need to change my x and y coordinates? "

Yes the map is scalable and you need not change the x or y when the map is resized.

hi,

when would the new release be?

one of the MAIN reason i bought fusion map is to identify the countries and i need the feature immediately.

is there any alternative that you can give me?

Hi,

The release is scheduled within next 6 weeks. However, you can get it immediately by sending e-mail at [email protected] quoting your FusionMaps license purchase ref - write request for 'New World map with countires' in the subject line.

I am new to the use of FusionMaps and also am interested in determining methods for being able to place a marker on the map if the location is known by lat/long. With that being said, are the positions between items on the map accurate i.e; distances between cities etc; , so that if you have the markers between two cities you will be able to determine the the marker for a third. Also, is there a way of determining the lat/long for the 0,0 location of a map. I am assuming that the map is a flat representation so that an algorithm of some sort will need to be designed to be able to convert the marker representation. I am curious if a reference point is established for one lat/long <-> marker can that be used to determine the location of other items based on of the marker scheme.

Also if you drill down in the maps how accurate are the locations of items which have been placed.

Thanks 

Hi,

The maps in FusionMaps are not made to scale - as such any generic algorithm to convert x/y to lat/long wouldn't work.

Hello,

Just a quick question.

Will there ever be any support to convert longitude,latitude to x,y coordinates for the maps? A javascript library would probably suffice.

For most of us who ask for this feature it is imperative for this conversion to be possible, otherwise the charts cannot be used on a deeper level than the regions of a country.

Best regards,

Cristi

Edited by Guest

Do you have any way to convert the lon/lat to the x,y coordinates for the fusionMap?

cristi (8/28/2008)
Hello,

Just a quick question.

Will there ever be any support to convert longitude,latitude to x,y coordinates for the maps? A javascript library would probably suffice.

For most of us who ask for this feature it is imperative for this conversion to be possible, otherwise the charts cannot be used on a deeper level than the regions of a country.

Best regards,

Cristi