Álvaro González

Internet Explorer converts UTF-8 data to single-byte

In a fully UTF-8 enabled web site I use JavaScript to generate the JSON URL and pass it to FusionCharts:

var title = "EVOLUCIÓN";
    var url = "/foo.php?title=" + encodeURIComponent(title);
    var plot = new FusionCharts("/FusionCharts/MSLine.swf", "fc-" + this.id, "100%", "100%", debugMode);
    plot.setJSONUrl(url);
    plot.render(this.id);

This works as expected in all browsers except Internet Explorer (I'm testing it on version 11). The developer console shows that the AJAX request to fetch the JSON data has already converted the double-byte URL-encoded data (%C3%B3) to an unencoded form (Ó) and some server-side debug code reveals it's not UTF-8 but some single-byte encoding (probably ISO-8859-1 or Windows-1252). I've just upgraded to 3.6.0 and I end up with "EVOLUCI?N" (earlier in 3.3.1 I'd get "EVOLUCIN").

Documentation says that FusionCharts requires a BOM in all UTF-8 source files but adding one didn't fix the problem.

Is it a known issue? Do you have a workaround that doesn't break in other browsers?

In a fully UTF-8 enabled web site I use JavaScript to generate the JSON URL and pass it to FusionCharts:

var title = "EVOLUCIÓN";
    var url = "/foo.php?title=" + encodeURIComponent(title);
    var plot = new FusionCharts("/FusionCharts/MSLine.swf", "fc-" + this.id, "100%", "100%", debugMode);
    plot.setJSONUrl(url);
    plot.render(this.id);

This works as expected in all browsers except Internet Explorer (I'm testing it on version 11). The developer console shows that the AJAX request to fetch the JSON data has already converted the double-byte URL-encoded data (%C3%B3) to an unencoded form (Ó) and some server-side debug code reveals it's not UTF-8 but some single-byte encoding (probably ISO-8859-1 or Windows-1252). I've just upgraded to 3.6.0 and I end up with "EVOLUCI?N" (earlier in 3.3.1 I'd get "EVOLUCIN").

Documentation says that FusionCharts requires a BOM in all UTF-8 source files but adding one didn't fix the problem.

Is it a known issue? Do you have a workaround that doesn't break in other browsers?

Hi,

We would first recommend you to upgrade your current version to the latest, i.e, FusionCharts v3.6. We have completely discontinued Flash charts and only support JavaScript charts.

Please upgrade and check if the issue still persists. In case yes, please share your sample data so that we might test it.

Hope this helps. :) 

Hi,

We would first recommend you to upgrade your current version to the latest, i.e, FusionCharts v3.6. We have completely discontinued Flash charts and only support JavaScript charts.

Please upgrade and check if the issue still persists. In case yes, please share your sample data so that we might test it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I found the issue right after upgrading to 3.6.0 (then downgraded to verify if the bug existed before, which was actually the case). And I'm not using Flash at all.

I'll try to compose a self-contained test case.

Edited by �lvaro G. Vicario

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I found the issue right after upgrading to 3.6.0 (then downgraded to verify if the bug existed before, which was actually the case). And I'm not using Flash at all.

I'll try to compose a self-contained test case.

Hi,

We are looking forward to a sample so that we can test it.

Also, could you please upgrade your current version to the latest, i.e, FusionCharts v3.7.0 and see if this helps?

You can check with the version history from here: http://www.fusioncharts.com/version-history/