Sign in to follow this  
ajreynolds

Updating data on the fly?

Greetings all,

I'm evaluating various features in FusionCharts and was wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible to update data on the fly?  I'm going to be using the charts by embedding a Flash Player object in my application (written in Magic), it's not on a web page.  I can easily display a chart in my program by setting the Flash Movie property to the chart I want and setting the FlashVars property to point to my chart data XML.  What I'm wondering is if it's possible to have a program that collects new data every few seconds and updates the chart automatically.  Are there properties or methods in the Flash Player that allow it to do this?  Would I use CallFunction, and if so, what functions and parameters would I use to do this?  Please excuse the newbie question, I've never worked with a Flash object before.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

In a browser you could use our FusionWidgets suite that support auto-update of charts. Please see www.fusioncharts.com/widgets

I have not been successful in using the FusionWidgets in my application.  I'm not working with a web server, so feeding the data to the chart isn't working right.

I have figured out that I can update data on an existing chart by calling a JavaScript function that does a setDataURL call on my chart, but it flashes each time the chart is updated.  Is there a way to prevent the flashing? 

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

When using dataURL, the chart first clears existing chart, reloads data and then renders - as such there is a momentary gap which causes the flicker.

We're using the setDataXML method but the thermometer is still flickering (re-rendering). We've set the animation attribute to 0 but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

Michael,

Even when using setDataXML method, the chart is re-rendered. Only the JS api which updates the chart value doesn't re-render the chart.