Pallav

Export to JPEG

I've been struggling with simply printing an HTML page that contains FusionCharts to a PDF, with no luck. Despite the fact that FusionCharts folks say this is possible, I've been unable to get it to work.

Even if I go to one of your pages:

A live demo is at http://www.fusioncharts.com/GalleryChart.asp?id=1

And print to PDF, or looking at the preview functionality, the graph just doesn't appear. Any idea why?

Hi,

If you're using Firefox, the chart wouldn't appear in preview. Also, for printing to PDF what print driver are you using?

Alternatively, you can also right click on chart and export as image.

I'm using a Mac, and tried Firefox and Safari. Still doesn't work... Of course I could always choose the print function from the context menu, but lets get real and say "that won't work", as I'm trying to automate the creation of a dashboard.

I've gone round and round on the boards, and have found another page where you guys told us about the only ratios that print. That's simply ludicrous. For me, having a pie chart that is less than 2 inches around is simply stupid. Too small for anybody to read.

You guys really have to figure out a solution for many of us who are trying to use your product to automate the creation of a dashboard. Simply providing a solution for websites is good, but a many number of us are trying to solve another problem.

My company is considering purchasing fusioncharts. In order to do so, we must be able to save the chart to an image file programmatically, for use in a Qt application. Are there any command line tools, libraries, or other solutions that can allow us to write some C++ code to save charts as image files?

Hi,

You cannot do it in C++ as of now. However, in v3.0.6, we've exposed a JavaScript method that can be invoked at client side to automatically initiate the saving process once the chart has finished rendering.

Could you show me an example of how I can do this programmatically?

I won't be using any web server at all, as this is completely a desktop application.

I could perhaps programmatically open up IE; therefore, I need it to save to an image

file when the data is done loading. What do I need to put in my XML and HTML files

to accomplish this? I read the docs, but it mentioned .aspx or php, neither of which I can use.

Edited by Guest

Nevermind on that last post. Would be a pretty terrible idea to have to programmatically open up a user's browser, just to save

the image as a jpeg. Any suggestions for alternatives? Right now I build charts in MS Excel, export to JPEG, and display within

my desktop application.

Hi,

we would like to use the "Save image as" functionality to export to different formats like BMP, JPG, PPT etc. Therefor we need the opportunity to change the imageSaveURL dynamically with JavaScript. Is this possible at present or could you implement this functionality? In addition it would be desireable to change the text ("Save image as").

Regards

To implement saving in various formats, you'll need to change the server side script to just output in the necessary format.

To change the text of context menu item, you'll need to modify the source code.

We have another demand, we would like to export to different formats inside the same page depending on what button the user clicks. So we need either the opportunity to change dynamically imageSaveURL or to add another parameter to imageSaveURL to determine the selected format.

Another option would be to programattically generate a PDF file with an embedded Flash object. Something similar to:

http://pdfill.com/index.html

Building this functionality in FusionChart would be an awesome feature. A lot of clients want to save charts locally and this is currently a limiting factor in FusionCharts.

Hi,

I am not having success in following FC documentation for generating a JPG. I have a set of dynamic and very long reports that display nicely in browser (from LAMP server...), with several FC charts embedded using JS method. That is all good. Now I need to generate real time PDFs. Using FPDF, and all is done except the FC charts - which I am trying to generate JPGs of charts and drop those into the PDF. I have spent 10 hours trying to generate a JPG on server with no success. Question: what happened to Macromedia's Generator? I worked 10 years ago on system where SWT files generated SWF, JPG, etc, nicely on server...but I know it was expensive and may not have survived purchase by Adobe? Anyway, it seems some crucial details are missing from FC Docs on server-side JPG generation. Please help. Anyone who has had success with this want to share code? Thanks in advance. John M.

Guest Rajroop

Hello John,

You do not need to use Macromedia Generator to gererate JPEG files.

FusionCharts provides an in-built export feature service that allows you to generate and save JPEG files on the server side.

Please refer to the FusionCharts v3 Documentation and click on the Exporting as Image/PDF section, on the left hand menu panel, for more information regarding this issue.

I hope this helps. :)

I have been doing that. But if you read it carefully, under "Exporting as Image/PDF", then "How it works?", then "Server-side exporting", then "Server-side exporting", the documentation is incorrect and incomplete.

Go to that page, YES I made the changes to my PHP. Then scroll down to "Configuring th XML" you find the phrase "As previously mentioned, we just need to do to the following changes to the XML:", but further down you state that you need to Set up the call back handler...?

The discussion of the call back handler is really confusing. Do I need my own or not? If as the docs state, I don't specify one and then the default one, "FC_Exported" is invoked, then why do I need my own????

And where in the world do you specify "JPG" is the output format you want?

And am I supposed to use "FCExporter.php" or "FCExporter_IMG.php" or both in conjunction?

And what about FusionChartsExportComponent.js? Is that a JS file I should be using?

I assure you I have read this over many times. I also assure I am no dummy.

I am frustrated.

Cheers.

Guest Rajroop

Hi,

We sincerely apologize.

FusionCharts Export feature helps you export a chart into a PDF or JPEG or PNG file.

You can export a chart in 2 ways.

1. Using chart's image data posted to a server side script (export handler - FCExporter.php) which can 'save' the pdf/jpg/png into a server side folder or can send back as a file to download.

or

2. using a client side export component (for this you need FusionChartsExportComponent.js and FCExport.swf). Here you do not need to post the data to server side script. Rather all thing would be handled by the export component.

-----------------

You always need to write the code of the callback function.

By default you need to create a function FC_Exported() where you would put your own code that you want to do after export completes.

If you think that you want to to use another function say myOwnFunction() as the callback function, you would need to specify this in the XML 's <chart> element- exportCallback='myOwnFunction'.

----------------

By Default, you can get option to output to any of the 3 formats - JPG, PNG and PDF.

If you only need to export to JPEG and do not want any other option your XML attribute would be : exportFormats='JPEG=Save as JPEG'.

If you wish to export through JavaScript, you need to use:

chartId.exportChart({exportFormat:'jpg'});

Hi, I have an email correspondence now with Sudipto - hopefully between you and he and myself we can get this solved.

I need to end up with a PDF document that can be sent as an attachment to a generated email - so I believe I need to generate the JPG on the server, then insert that image into the PDF - a standalone PDF of the chart won't suffice. The fusion charts are a part of a larger report with a lot of other data.

How and or where do I specify that I want a JPG?

I believe that ultimately I don't want my callback function to do anything except in case of error.

Basically, the user will set some filters in the PHP page (region, subregion, etc), then when they decide they have the report they like, they will click a link to generate the report as a PDF, that in turn will give them the ability to "push" the report out to a list of users.

But at present, there is no file being generated on the server, and that's the first thing to solve.

As I understand the way FC works, there is no way to generate the JPG without it first being viewed in the client's browser?

That is why I suggested MacroMedia's Generator. That way, generating a PDF or whatever version of a report does not depend on the user. In a large system, we will want to just generate a set of PDF's and have them emailed to the appropriate parties. That is a case where no one would ever need to view a given chart in a browser. I could be a supervisor, and generate 100 different reports that get sent to 1000 people. All PDF's. Yet I would not want to view those 100 reports.

Let's have fun, but let's get it done!

i have successfully captured a snapshot of a fusionchart on a headless linux server. pseudo-steps:

2. install xvfb and firefox

3. configure firefox to automatically save images in some well known directory

4. run Xvfb on an unused DISPLAY and run firefox on it

5. run "firefox -no-remote $URL" where URL hits a page that uses the "function FC_Rendered(DOMId){ myChartId.saveAsImage(); }" hook to automatically save the image once the chart is rendered

6. poll the saved image directory to look for any new files

7. profit

Guest Rajroop

Hello,

Welcome! :)

Thanks you soo much for sharing this on the FusionCharts Forum. :D

Guest Rajroop

Hey there,

We've just released a new and free add-in for PowerPoint that lets you add FusionCharts very easily to your slides. Check out oomfo @ http://oomfo.com

Would love to have your feedback/suggestions. :)

hi - i am pasting in my post from another thread, as I explained in detail what I have going on...Please see if you can consolidate or something - I also sent files and screen captures to support email address.

--

Hi - I had an implementation working correctly on one server, then when that code was moved to another server it would not work. In the new location, the JS callback function - FC_Exported - DOES get called but the objRtn.statusCode keeps coming back as ZERO.

Also, I can see that there is no file created once the process is completed.

-it really looks as if it would work - the chart displays correctly in the browser, then when the user asks to export it (so it can be included in a PDF version of what they see), the capture data progress indicator works - but then the JS routine gets called, finds the zero, and alerts user that it has failed.

I know there is no communication issue between server and client -

I have inserted the sending of email to me at various points in FCExporter.php and FCExporter_IMG.php - I can even get the entire raw image stream which comes from client to server in a POST, to be sent to me in the email

I got FCExporter.php to create folders and text files just for testing.

It is a very strange system - but like I said, I do have code that works on one server and could help you with that.

If anyone has similar situation where it works in one place and then not in another - yet all code is same, all permissions same, please help!!

John Marno

PDF to GIF Converter is an ultimatec PDF to GIF converting tool for rendering PDF files. It can convert PDF files to most common image formats, such as JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, PCX, TGA, TIFF and so on. This PDF to GIF Converter can convert all the PDF files to any image formats with high quality, and very easy to use, only by a few clicks users can finish the PDF to GIF conversion.

pdf to gif converter

pdf to ppt converter

PDF to GIF Converter is an ultimatec PDF to GIF converting tool for rendering PDF files. It can convert PDF files to most common image formats, such as JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, PCX, TGA, TIFF and so on. This PDF to GIF Converter can convert all the PDF files to any image formats with high quality, and very easy to use, only by a few clicks users can finish the PDF to GIF conversion.

pdf to gif converter

pdf to ppt converter

pdf to gif converter

pdf to ppt converter