Arindam

query strings, dates and complicated data!

Hi there

I am a newbie using visual web designer with asp.net vb and i am using data from an access database.

I have a rather complicated query which displays cricket scores grouped by date for a particular player (url query string)

I would like to display bar columns for "balls bowled" and "runs conceded" and "wickets" grouped by the date of the match played (horizontal axis)

I have already got an asp.net graph working on the site that i am trying to do this for but i would obviously love to use fusioncharts free to display this information (for the existing graph go here: )

I have followed the examples and have got a little way into making it work for me but i am stuck as i a) dont know how to get the user id from a query string for this and :) i need to group each column by date and it doesnt seem to like that and c) i dont know how to add another column let alone another 2 columns and d) how can i format the date displayed from the database !

Here is what i have done so far, i have hard coded the userid into this code for now just to get it working.

Here is my code from the code behind

Imports DataConnection

Imports InfoSoftGlobal

Partial Class DBExample_BasicDBExample

Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Public Function CreateChart() As String

'In this example, we show how to connect FusionCharts to a database.

'For the sake of ease, we've used an Access database which is present in

'../App_Data/FactoryDB.mdb. It just contains two tables, which are linked to each

'other. 

'Database Objects - Initialization

Dim oRs As DbConn, strQuery As String

'strXML will be used to store the entire XML document generated

Dim strXML As String

'Generate the graph element

strXML = ""

'Iterate through each factory

strQuery = "SELECT ChartWicketQuery.*, ChartWicketQuery.UserID FROM(ChartWicketQuery)WHERE (((ChartWicketQuery.UserID)=34))"

oRs = New DbConn(strQuery)

While oRs.ReadData.Read()

'Now create second recordset to get details for this factory

strQuery = "SELECT ChartWicketQuery.MatchWickets, ChartWicketQuery.MatchDateFormatted, ChartWicketQuery.MatchBallsBowled, ChartWicketQuery.MatchRunsConceded FROM(ChartWicketQuery)WHERE (((ChartWicketQuery.UserID)=34) AND ((ChartWicketQuery.MatchDateFormatted)=" & oRs.ReadData("MatchDateFormatted").ToString()

Dim oRs2 As New DbConn(strQuery)

oRs2.ReadData.Read()

'Generate 

strXML = strXML & ""

'Close recordset

oRs2.ReadData.Close()

End While

oRs.ReadData.Close()

'Finally, close  element

strXML = strXML & ""

'Create the chart - Pie 3D Chart with data from strXML

Return FusionCharts.RenderChart("../FusionCharts/FCF_Column3D.swf", "", strXML, "FactorySum", "650", "450", False, False)

End Function

End Class

This code doesnt work as i get an error which i believe is something to do with the date.

Could you please help me as i would really love to put this on the site and impress the players (one of whom is my son):)

Thank you in advance

Thank you for that link but it doesnt really help me that much as the example is using hard coded data. I need to know how to implement this using an access database and get the three sets of database data into the graph, how to pass a url parameter (for the particular player) to the graph and how to group my data using a date as the parameter for the second, third and fourth query from the database.

If you have a look at the asp.net database example code that i modified in the last post, perhaps you will understand more what i am getting at.

Thanks in advance