Sign in to follow this  
Arindam

cannot get sample asp.net chart to display graph ( vwd2005)

HI All,

I am trying to play around with the simple charts in asp.net but with no luck. All I get is a blank page. I have added the reference "infosoftglobal.dll" so the code can call fusion objects, but i get an error with the code file saying that:

"the language of the file referenced by the codefile attribute does not match the language specified by the 'language' attribute in the current file"

I guess that makes sense since the langage is in "c#" but the file behind is in vb. Really not sure whether this makes a difference. So instead of using:

<%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="BasicChart.aspx.vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="InfoSoftGlobal.GeneralPages.ASP.NET.BasicExample.BasicChart" %> <%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="BasicChart.aspx.vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="InfoSoftGlobal.GeneralPages.ASP.NET.BasicExample.BasicChart" %>

VB.net uses the following and doesn't like the "codebehind" and instead used the "codefile". Kind of confused with the "InfoSoftGlobal.GeneralPages.ASP.NET.BasicExample.BasicChart" line. What do I need to do to get this to work????????.

<%@ Page language="c#" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="BasicChart.aspx.vb" Inherits="BasicChart" %>

<

HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>FusionCharts - Simple Column 3D Chart </TITLE>

</HEAD>

<body>

<form id='form1' name='form1' method='post' runat="server">

<%

=GetMonthlySalesChartHtml()%>

</form>

</body>

</HTML>

Thanks Mate,

I downloaded the "FusionCharts_Evaluation.zip" and extracted the fusioncharts.dll to a bin folder in the project and added it as a reference ( will that be the only file I need or will i need to extract others as well??). I removed the old "infosoftglobal.dll". I took your link and basically cut and paste this information into a new project so all the code should be intact. However when i go to load the page I get the following error here is the code. I see a sqigerly line under Namespace. When I hover over it says the the "end namespace must be matched with a preceding namespace" so I type in Namespace InfosoftGlobal. All looks good but then i back to my vb page "GetMonthlySalesChartHtml()" thows up an error saying that "get monthlysalescharthtml not declared". Pretty sure that I have the latest version of .net installed. If I dont have the preceding namespace it wont load. Is there something else I might be missing?

BTW, appoligies my my noobness.

Imports InfoSoftGlobal

Partial Class BasicChart

Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Public Function GetMonthlySalesChartHtml() As String

Return FusionCharts.RenderChartHTML("../FusionCharts/Column3D.swf", "Data/Data.xml", "", "myFirst", "600", "300", False)

End Function

End Class

End Namespace

Thanks for your quick response Arindam, got the basic chart to work. Just a couple of things i am hoping you have a couple of minutes to explain:

1) what is the purpose of "<asp:Literal ID="Literal1" runat="server"></asp:Literal>" at line 27 on the basicchart.aspx do?

2) also what is the purpose of:

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

Literal1.Text = GetMonthlySalesChartHtml()

End Sub

3 ) what does it mean by partial class?

Thanks Again!

Hi,

1) Literal control used as a place holder for FusionCharts. I am just forcing FusionCharts to be rendered in that region.

2) Page_Load run automatically when Asp.net aspx page run and when Page_Load event called it invokes GetMonthlySalesChartHtml() and return a string redirect to Literal control.

3) When you generate Vb.Net aspx code behind program this time class must be be partial. This is a Microsoft syntax please visit Microsoft MSDN site for details.

Edited by Guest