Pallav

Printing broken in Safara and Firefox

I tried uploading a jpeg to show the problem, but that didn't work, so I've provided a link to files showing the problem here:

On screen in Safari and Firefox (Mac and Windows), the right and bottom edges of the chart are cropped off:

http://www.e-field.com/printbug.jpg

Safari prints as shown in the browser.

Firefox on the Mac does not show the chart in "Print Preview" and does NOT print the chart at all.

Firefox on Windows does not show the chart in "Print Preview" but does seem to print the chart (cropped), as shown here:

http://www.e-field.com/ffprintbug.pdf

IE seems to print correctly.

Is this some kind of configuration issue? It's a show-stopper for my application, as the "output" of my website is the printed chart.

Regards,

Scott

Yes, though obviously only the chart prints, not the rest of my page. But nevertheless, the chart is being drawn too large for its bounding rectangle.

I have the same issue.

The print option is not functional at all. I think this is a bug that needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks

Printing is also broken in Netscape (Windows) and Opera (Windows and Mac).

Print Preview shows nothing on Windows machines, and actual printing displays the same chart cropping as in Safari and Firefox.

It seems the only browser than can print charts correctly is IE for the PC. That leaves 20% of my site's visitors unable to print the charts I draw.

We've identified the problem of cropping during printing and would be fixing the same in our next release (in a few weeks time). Thanks a lot for your inputs and time and sorry for any inconvenience due to this. 

I've updated my site to V3.0.3, but printing is STILL BROKEN. I see no change in the behaviour of the charts from the previous version. I copied the new .swf files, FusionCharts.js and FusionCharts.php. I don't believe there are any other files involved, so if printing was fixed, I should see it. In debug mode, the charts report that they are V3.0.3

Pallav,

I was not using the context menu. In Safari that seems to work (I'll try Firefox later), but that doesn't solve the problem of printing my entire page. The output of my website is the printed product. FusionCharts doesn't print properly for 20% the people that visit, and excludes Macintosh owners entirely.

Scott

Hi,

Just tested out printing on our system on latest release (v3.0.3):

Its a big improvement.

*****  IE6 *****

1. In general works better with IE6 with some minor issues  (eg pixelated fonts)

2. Does not print at all in Landscape mode at all  when we have several charts on the same page => blank area in place of chart

***** Firefox 2 *****

3. Dont get any Print preview on FF, but does print out (fonts pixelated)

4. on printing we get some problems with multiple charts and cropping. In some cases blank charts

Hope this feedback helps.

TNX

Using the context menu of the chart, you can print both in portrait and landscape mode. Also, this menu option works uniformly across all browsers.

However, the print function of browser is not something that we can take control of inside FusionCharts. As such, they might differ on a few platforms.

Hello-

I'm having this problem too, and it's really inconvenient. I prefer the mozilla browsers and to have to tell my users they have to use IE makes me very disappointed. Please fix this asap.

The context menu of the chart works uniformly across the browsers.

Actually, from within FusionCharts, we cannot really control the print functions of the browser.

Most of our users will use the print option from the browser. Telling them to right click on the chart and print that, then to print the rest of the page with the data that was used to generate the chart is not going to work for us as an implementation.

Because of this we will not be using your product. More of a fyi. Otherwise, the charts look great.

thanks,

Dan

We've been spending a lot of time trying to come up with solutions to the printing issue.  Right clicking the chart print option will not work for us either.  But we have worked endlessly with different options to get it to work.  We now have it working in 3 of the 4 browsers across Mac and PC.  If you make the chart less than 400 wide, and 300 tall, the chart will not crop. Not sure why those specs, maybe FusionCharts could tell us. There is a issue with Firefox on the Mac with printing pages with flash.  It only wants to print html and images.  The only solution is to update the source file of the flash to convert to an image when printing.  This is something FusionCharts could do.  Is this an option?  At least can we get the source file with the software we purchased, so we can try?

http://www.anychart.com/blog/2007/09/23/solving-problem-with-printing-flash-content-in-firefox-browser/

Thanks

Hi

Rightly said regarding the dimenstion. We have tested theese safe dimenstion where the charts prints fully across browsers.

Width- height:

300 - 450

400 - 300

500 - 250

600 - 220

700 - 210

800 - 200

See how inversely proportional it comes down.

We have requested  our Production Team to look into this matter.

Hi,

One way to solve this would be to recompile the chart .fla with the intended width/height that you want to use. For example, currently we dynamically scale the chart at run-time to display the same.

To make it print enabled for Mac-Safari, you can open the .fla, just change the width and height of .fla to x x y (where x and y are your required dimensions) and then export it.

Hi,

Just do this (only if you've the .fla files):

- Open the .fla file.

- Change the chart size to your intended size (in the tool bar)

- Recompile

I found that including the FusionChartsWMode.js causes the chart to not print in FF and Safari. I have to remove it in order to print. However, the charts are still rescaling on print in FF and Safari. If I understand this thread correctly, I can prevent the scaling by either choosing one of the above w/h combos (not possible) or recompile.

So, if we need to compile the .fla in order for the charts to not rescale when printing, is it possible to get the .fla's alacarte for the non-enterprise licensees? I only need 2 charts but don't want to have to upgrade to that level for just these two charts! What are my options?

I'm trying to deal with the resizing at print problem in Safari. I have 5 different height charts that call on the MSLine.swf file to generate, that I need to print (along with their accompanying page data). Would it be possible to custom size 5 different versions of 'RealTimeLine.fla' file and point to them independently? ,(I am only assuming that is the correct .fla file for charts made with the MSLine.swf file.) I get an "Error in loading data" message when I try to open the MSLine.swf file in Flash CS3, and so I'm not sure how or where this type of change could be done.

If you had 5 different sized charts (using 1 swf with rescaling), you would need to generate 5 new swf's (5 individual swfs with hardcoded sizes) to prevent the rescale on each of them at print time. You need to edit the .fla (if you have it) in Flash instead the swf.

I don't have the .fla's yet so this is all theoretical. But once I do I will verify and post specific instructions... Unless someone beats me to it...which would be great. :)