Guest Rajroop

loading jquery causes IE8 to break

I am new to both javascript and fusion widgets.  I have some simple guages and real time charts working and want to add some new features. I decided to try the jquery library, but found that when I simply load the library, e.g. <script type="text/javascript" src="lib/jquery-1.3.2.min.js"</script> , it breaks even my simple test application in IE8.

It works fine in FireFox, and IE8 will work fine without loading the jquery library.  The behaviour I get in IE8 is the following:

When loaded in this order:

<script type= ... src="lib/jquery-1.3.2.min.js"

<script type = ... src="charts/FusionCharts.js"

The result displayed in IE8 is:

"The chart will appear within this DIV. This text will be replaced by the chart."
and IE8s console error message is:

Webpage error details:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; yie8)

Timestamp: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:43:24 UTC

Line: 12

Char: 10

Code: 0

If I swap the order of the two javascript loads, then I get no error message in IE8 and a blank screen.

Again Firefox works fine when the libraries are loaded in either order. I haven't even begun to try and use the jquery library, was just loading it to make sure that it worked, before I dug into it more.

-ben

Guest Madhumita

Hello,

Welcome to FusionCharts Forum. :)

I'm afraid, we have not encountered an issue of this kind, yet.

Could you please send us the folder you are working on with the jquery,html and chart files with which you are facing the issue?

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Awaiting your reply. :D

Madhumita,

Thanks for the quick response.  I spent some time collecting files together and taking screen shots to document the behavior. All of a sudden, after cutting and pasting the <script>  tags, the problem went away. I can't really explain what happend, except that perhaps a non-printing characters was inserted in one of the strings.  I am using the Netbeans IDE, and it seems to have a few quirks.

For now I am back in business, it does not appear to be a problem with fusion charts.

Guest Rajroop

Hey Ben,

This world's a mystery, you know. :hehe:

Do revert to us in case the problem comes out of hiding and shows it's face again. :)