Sanjukta

using LogMSLine.swf with base 2 shows the number '1' twice on the y axis

Hi,

please see test case here: http://imagination-free.net/powercharts/

"View XML" button will display the xml data. As you can see, y-axis values are : 1,1,2,4,8...

With anything but base=2, y-axis values start at 0. setting yAxisMinValue="0" doesn't make any difference.

Is there something wrong with my settings?

Any help much appreciated.

Hi,

Welcome to FusionCharts Forum! :)

In the XML you have provided, you have explicitly mentioned "0" as the value for the attribute "yAxisMinValue" in the <chart> element.

I am afraid, the Log base does not function when the the minimum value is explicitly mentioned by the user in the XML, as of now. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Hi Sanjukta,

thanks for your quick reply.

I actually didn't have yAxisMinValue set originally. I added it to see if it would fix my problem.

In the test case, I've uploaded a new XML file without the yAxisMinValue. It is still the same, yaxis starts 1, 1, 2...

http://imagination-free.net/powercharts/

Guest Basundhara Ghosal

Hi,

In case you need to fix the divline values, please try specifying the value for the attributes "yaxismaxvalue", "yaxisminvalue" and "numdivlines" in the <chart> element.

Also, you need to set the value for the attribute "adjustdiv" to '0' in the <chart> element.

Hope this helps.

Hi Basundhara,

thanks for your reply.

We purchased a SaaS license from you recently and we go live in a few days. Please answer the following questions.

You said I should try setting "yaxismaxvalue". I tried this originally (as described in previous posts in this thread) with no result. Also, your colleague, Sanjukta, in an earlier reply said that yaxismaxvalue" is not supported in this case. Which is it - supported or not?

You mentioned "numdivlines" and "adjustdiv" but I don't see these parameters in the "Logarithmic Line Chart Specification Sheet" (Powercharts V3 online docs). Are these undocumented parameters? Can you point me to the document where these parameters are described?

One more question: how is it that with any value for "base" other than "2" (base="3", base="4" etc.) the chart's Y axis starts at zero without the need for any of the above parameters you mention, yet it's different for base="2".

Guest Basundhara Ghosal

Hi,

On the first note, we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Our developer are looking into the issue.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Hi,

We apologize for all the inconvenience caused.

All the charts of the FusionCharts suite supports only "0" as the minimum value for Y axis by default in case no other values are set explicitly.

The Logarithmic Charts of the PowerCharts pack calculates all its values based on the log scale.

So, by the calculation Log 0 to the Base 2 is equal to "1".

[Note: (Any value)^0= 1]

Ref.- http://www.intmath.com/Exponential-logarithmic-functions/5_Logs-base-e-ln.php (It really helped me! :))

In the Logarithmic chart, as per the log calculation rules the minimum value for Y axis is coming to "1".

Please feel free to revert in case you have further queries on the same.

Hi Sanjukta,

>the minimum value for Y axis is coming to "1".

Please see the following two test cases:

http://www.imagination-free.net/powercharts/base_2.html

http://www.imagination-free.net/powercharts/base_3.html

The data is exactly the same in both. The only difference is that in one test case, base="2", and in the other, base="3".

What do you see when you look at the y axes in these two test cases? Does it fit with your explanation?

Just an addition to my last post.

Looking at the base="2" example, the number '1' occurs twice, so the sequence of ordinates goes: 1,1,2,4,8 etc.

I'm not a mathematician, but with simple graphs like this, it makes no mathematical sense for a particular ordinate (in this case '1') to appear twice - each ordinate must be unique.

This does not happen when base="3" or base="4" etc. It seems to happen in this case only when base="2".

In case of log 2, the minimum value is being set as 0.5 by chart, but since you've set decimals='0', it gets rounded to 1. Change decimals='0' and decimals='1' and it'll work fine.

Hi Pallav ,

thank you for your answer. This makes sense. The fact that for base="3"/"4" etc. the origin was labeled '0' confused me, but it's now clear that it was rounding down in those cases.

I should have read the specification sheet more carefully and set up 'decimals' correctly. Thanks to all who patiently helped with this post.

Kind regards to all,

rvi