Sim

Problem with getChartFromId in hidden DHTML block for Firefox

I have an interesting problem with a site I'm developing.

I have a page with several tables of data and a chart. I have the tables and chart each displayed in their own div blocks, which are hidden when not displayed, and then I use javaScript to switch between them without reloading the page - eg:

document.getElementById('chartdiv').style.display="block";

document.getElementById('yearlydiv').style.display="none";

I have some select boxes on the chart page which change the data displayed on the chart using

var chartObj = getChartFromId("FundChart");

var chartUrl = '{new chart URL here}'

chartUrl = escape(chartUrl);

chartObj.setDataURL(chartUrl);

... this works fine.

Now when you view the other data in the tables, it hides the chart, and I have some links in the tables which use javascript to show the chart and load a new URL for the chart data using exactly the same code as above.

This works fine in IE - but in Firefox, I get a JavaScript error - "Error: chartObj.setDataURL is not a function". It works fine in Firefox if I don't have the chart div hidden - so I think it might be something about Firefox not allowing the getChartFromId to work for hidden objects ??

For reference - here is how I render the chart (PHP):

require_once(DIR . '/includes/FusionCharts.php');

$url = urlencode({chart URL here});

$fundchart = renderChart("/charts/MSLine.swf", $url, "", "FundChart", $width, $height, false, true);

Any suggestions ?

When you hide a chart contained in a DIV and then show it back, the browsers actually need to reload the chart SWF. They do not perform simple show/hide.

As such, when you call setDataURL method again, the chart has not yet loaded and exposed its API to browser. As such, you'll need to track FC_Rendered event again, before calling the setDataURL method.