davesquire

Invalid Argument In Fusioncharts.js Line: 15 Char: 33764

I have been running my application using Fusion Charts version 3.1 for a while now. I love them!

Now I'm trying to upgrade to version 3.2 so that they will work on iPad. But when I try to open the page with IE 8 on Windows 7, I get the following error:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)

Timestamp: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:26:30 UTC

Line: 15

Char: 33764

Code: 0

URI: https://server/s/FusionCharts/FusionCharts.js

It seems to only happen on charts where I am setting the clickURL attribute.

It works on IE 8 in XP and Vista. Only on Windows 7 do we see this error.

Has anyone seen this error? Any ideas as to how I can resolve this?

Thank you very much!

Dave

Edited by davesquire

I have done further testing and simplified the problem.

Here is the html that will create the problem:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
   	<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
   	<title>Simple FusionCharts Version 3.2 Test</title>
   	<script type="text/javascript" src="FusionCharts.js"></script>
   	<script type="text/javascript">
       	function DrawFusionChart(swfUrl, chartId, width, height, data, chartDivId) {
           	var myChart = new FusionCharts(swfUrl, chartId, width, height, "0", "0");
           	myChart.setDataXML(data);
           	myChart.setTransparent();
           	myChart.render(chartDivId);
       	};
   	</script> 
</head>
<body>
   	<h1>FusionCharts Version 3.2</h1>
   	<div id="simulatorChartWidgetSubview:simulatorChartWidgetForm:simulatorChartArea">
       	<div id="simulatorChartWidgetSubview:simulatorChartWidgetForm:simulatorTitle">
           	<span class="widgetTitle">Most Recent Simulation</span>
       	</div>
       	<div id="simulatorChartWidgetSubview:simulatorChartWidgetForm:simulatorChart_ChartDiv" align="center"></div>
           	DrawFusionChart("Column3D.swf", "simulatorChartWidgetSubview:simulatorChartWidgetForm:simulatorChart", "300", "200", "<chart caption='Simulation Results (N=50)' xAxisName='Product' yAxisName='Share of Preference' numberSuffix='%25' labelDisplay='stagger' showExportDataMenuItem='1' decimals='1' exportEnabled='1' exportAtClient='0' exportAction='download' exportFileName='SimulatorChart' exportHandler='/s/FCExporter.jsp' forceDecimals='1'><set label='NONE' value='100.0'></set></chart>", "simulatorChartWidgetSubview:simulatorChartWidgetForm:simulatorChart_ChartDiv");
       	</script>
   	</div>
</body>
</html>

Like I mentioned earlier, this exact test works in IE 8 on XP and Vista, Fire Fox, Chrome, and Safari. But it does NOT work using IE 8 on Windows 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dave

I think that I may have figured it out! And, if I'm right, then it is a FusionCharts bug.

If I remove the colon characters (':') from the ChartId, then it works. So, in my previous example I had the chart id as, "simulatorChartWidgetSubview:simulatorChartWidgetForm:simulatorChart" which is a JSF id. When I change it to anything withOUT the :'s then it works.

Now I'll just try to get rid of the colons in that id in my JSF application.

If this is a FusionCharts bug, I would love to hear from FusionCharts about when a fix could be expected.

Thank you!

Dave

Edited by davesquire

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have the exact same problem but your solution does not apply in my situation. My ChartId value has no special characters.

This seems to be new behavior for Fusion Charts, since I had just tested this misbehaving chart when we upgraded to version 3.2.1 a few weeks ago. Perhaps a Flash update caused the problem?

This problem affects IE8 users in XP or Win7 when not running in compatibility mode. Forcing the chart renderer to javascript displays the chart as expected (ugly, but it works)

I'm circumventing this bug by forcing all IE browsers to javascript rendering.

To FusionCharts staff: when can a patch be delivered to fix this problem?

A live version of this chart can be viewed at http://system.netfile.com/Sunlight/ if you are interested in viewing the problem.

Best Regards,

David Montgomery

I think that I may have figured it out! And, if I'm right, then it is a FusionCharts bug.

If I remove the colon characters (':') from the ChartId, then it works. So, in my previous example I had the chart id as, "simulatorChartWidgetSubview:simulatorChartWidgetForm:simulatorChart" which is a JSF id. When I change it to anything withOUT the :'s then it works.

Now I'll just try to get rid of the colons in that id in my JSF application.

If this is a FusionCharts bug, I would love to hear from FusionCharts about when a fix could be expected.

Thank you!

Dave

Hi!

I had the same problem. I had a ChartID starting with a digit, by putting a character in front of the digit it removed the problem.

Example of problem Chart ID: 1a

Example of working Chart ID: a1

Hopes this helps!

Cheers

Ah yes. I have encountered a few of such issues and it took me quite some time to realize that chart id was causing the problem. Ideally, a 'not-so-long' chart id that starts with an alphabet and does not have special characters had been foolproof.

In almost all the cases, I found that when the renderer was set to 'javascript' it worked. This has given me a preliminary inference that it has got to do something with the Flash Player or particular system combination/configuration. Sadly, I hadn't been able to personally create a system that exhibits this error. Let's see, we will put some permutations into place and recreate this issue and track down the source.

Inputs from everyone would definitely be helpful for us to zero-in on the resolution.

Ah yes. I have encountered a few of such issues and it took me quite some time to realize that chart id was causing the problem. Ideally, a 'not-so-long' chart id that starts with an alphabet and does not have special characters had been foolproof.

In almost all the cases, I found that when the renderer was set to 'javascript' it worked. This has given me a preliminary inference that it has got to do something with the Flash Player or particular system combination/configuration. Sadly, I hadn't been able to personally create a system that exhibits this error. Let's see, we will put some permutations into place and recreate this issue and track down the source.

Inputs from everyone would definitely be helpful for us to zero-in on the resolution.

Hi There,

Currently we are using FusionCharts 3.2.2 Beta version.

Everything works great except IE8 rendering.

we are getting Invalid argument error while testing under IE8 even IE7 renders charts great. (problem exists on Flash mode only)

I have replaceed 3.2.2 FusionCharts.js with 3.2.1's FusionCharts.js and Flash charts started to render under IE8.

has someone faced this issue and resolved this on 3.2.2 ?

Is it known issue ?

Even Demos under Gallery folder didn't work on IE8 :(

Thanks,

Artur

Thank you for your answer.

I have downloaded latest version of FusionCharts from our account page and in version.txt I found text

Current Version:FusionCharts XT beta-3 (v3.2.2) (Released on 5th September, 2011)

This is still beta

But when I'm downloading it from http://www.fusioncharts.com/download/

The version text is the follwoing

Current Version:FusionCharts XT (v3.2.2) (Released on 20th September, 2011)

It's too confusing. Could you please tell me how can I download the latest licensed non beta version of FusionCharts 3.2.2

BTW the Invalid argument Error still exists in this version

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please try the same by downloading latest version of FusionCharts i.e FusionCharts XT(v 3.2.2.) from : http://www.fusioncharts.com/download/ ?

Awaiting for your feedback.

Guest Angshu

Hi,

Please drop a mail to: [email protected] quoting your orderID and we will get back to you at our earliest.

Please mention the forum thread link in the mail for our reference.

Looking forward to your mail.

Hi,

I'm getting the same error, but have already been using a short chartID which begins with a letter. Our charts work great in Windows XP but we're going to Windows 7 very soon and testing our apps. None of our FusionCharts render and get the same Fusioncharts.js Line: 15 error. (using FusionCharts v3.2.1)

Code sample:

<div id="chart1div">Gauge1</div>

var chart1 = new FusionCharts("FusionWidgets/Charts/AngularGauge.swf", "Chart1Id", "125", "100", "0", "1");

chart1.setDataURL("Files/XML/DIALProductionLine3.xml");

chart1.render("chart1div");

</script>

</div>

The code can't get any simplier. Why the error with Windows 7?

Thanks.

Guest Sumedh

Hi,

I'm getting the same error, but have already been using a short chartID which begins with a letter. Our charts work great in Windows XP but we're going to Windows 7 very soon and testing our apps. None of our FusionCharts render and get the same Fusioncharts.js Line: 15 error. (using FusionCharts v3.2.1)

Code sample:

<div id="chart1div">Gauge1</div>

var chart1 = new FusionCharts("FusionWidgets/Charts/AngularGauge.swf", "Chart1Id", "125", "100", "0", "1");

chart1.setDataURL("Files/XML/DIALProductionLine3.xml");

chart1.render("chart1div");

</script>

</div>

The code can't get any simplier. Why the error with Windows 7?

Thanks.

Hi,

What chart type you are trying to render? FusionCharts or FusionWidgets?

Also, setDataURL method is deprecated.

Can you send us the error message by enabling the debug mode?

Hi,

What chart type you are trying to render? FusionCharts or FusionWidgets?

Also, setDataURL method is deprecated.

Can you send us the error message by enabling the debug mode?

We are using FusionWidgets.

Why don't you like the setDataURL method, we copied your code?

I don't always have access to our Windows 7 test computer. I won't have access to it again until next week.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Too many other update fires to tend. I'll send the Fusion error as soon as I can get to the test machine.

Thanks,

JMichael

Guest Sumedh

We are using FusionWidgets.

Why don't you like the setDataURL method, we copied your code?

I don't always have access to our Windows 7 test computer. I won't have access to it again until next week.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Too many other update fires to tend. I'll send the Fusion error as soon as I can get to the test machine.

Thanks,

JMichael

Hi,

Apologies for the miscommunication.

As setDataURL function is deprecated and may not give you the perfect results.

Please refer the following link for more information:

http://docs.fusioncharts.com/charts/contents/?JavaScript/API/Overview.html

Also, are trying to load XML data from a particular location(URL)? then you can use setXMLUrl function.

Please find attached illustration for your reference.

AngularGauge.zip

Hello again,

I am finding this same error in all of our charts when testing on a Windows 7 machine, whether we use Widgets or FusionCharts. We do not have the XT upgrade.

I did as you suggested and changed the method from setDataURL to setXMLUrl and I still get nothing. I also tried using the javascript debugging function but that didn't render anything either.

<div id="chartdiv12" align="center"> chart9000XBAR Line 1</div>    
           var myChart12 = new FusionCharts("../../FusionCharts/Charts/ScrollLine2D.swf", "myChartId12", "925", "350", "0", "1" );
           myChart12.setXMLUrl("../../Files/XML/chart9000XBARxml_L1.xml");       
           myChart12.render("chartdiv12");    
       </script>

This same code works on our existing XP client machines (IE 6 and 7 - cannot upgrade IE), but not in Windows 7 with IE 7. We are upgrading very soon and I need to render charts in the Windows 7 environment.

Thanks,

JMichael

Hi,

Apologies for the miscommunication.

As setDataURL function is deprecated and may not give you the perfect results.

Please refer the following link for more information:

http://docs.fusionch...I/Overview.html

Also, are trying to load XML data from a particular location(URL)? then you can use setXMLUrl function.

Please find attached illustration for your reference.

Guest Sumedh

Hi,

Did you get any error while rendering charts on Windows 7 OS environment? If possible please send us the browser console details.

Also, are you maintaining same folder structure on Windows 7 OS environment?

Please send us the debug window information. For enabling debug window you would need to set last but one bit as "1" in the FusionCharts constructor.

Ref. Code:

var myChart12 = new FusionCharts("../../FusionCharts/Charts/ScrollLine2D.swf", "myChartId12", "925", "350", "1", "1" ); -------> last but one bit is set as "1"

For more information on how to enable debug window, please refer the following URL:

http://docs.fusioncharts.com/charts/contents/Debug/Window.html