redherring917

Realtime Chart Ignoring Refreshinterval Setting?

Hi there. This is odd. Even though my RealTimeStackedColumn.swf chart's XML clearly specifies a refreshInterval of something else - I've tried lots of values, but ideally I'd be looking for a refresh value of 600 or 10 minutes - my chart appears to update "on its own schedule", in this case, what appears to be about once every 10 seconds.

I am assuming that the refreshInterval values are to be seconds. Regardless, even if I'm wrong with that assumption, no matter what I put for the value of refreshInterval my chart seems to update, again, about once every 10 seconds.

I must be missing something very obvious here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I keep working away at this problem. I previously had 2 charts on the same page, one RealTimeStackedColumn.swf and one RealTimeLineDY.swf, each in its own unique DIV, each with its own unique XML file, each with its own unique dataStreamURL. I had each chart's refreshInterval set as - per above - many different values, none of which seemed to take effect, as each chart appeared to simply update itself every 10 seconds or so regardless. I removed one chart from my page, and now I do seem to be able to get the remaining chart to "obey" its refreshInterval value, BUT only to a certain extent. If I set it as "60", sure enough, the chart updates every 60 seconds. If I set it at "600" - I really want the chart to update every 10 minutes - the chart never updates (at least not yet, and it's now been over 20 minutes).

So...

• Why would displaying 2 charts on the same page cause problems with each chart's refreshInterval?

• Is there some "upper limit" on the value of refreshInterval that I'm exceeding by setting it as 600? (I'm still assuming we're speaking of seconds as the related unit of measurement, which certainly is the case when the value is set at 60)

I'm going to buy and love this product if I can just get it to work!

Thanks.

...and...

• Why - using a refreshInterval value example of "60" - is there a 60 second delay prior to the chart starting its refresh cycle? In other words, I refresh a page with a chart on it having a refreshInterval value of "60", the chart loads blank - as it should - but initially stays blank for 120 seconds or 2 x the refreshInterval, after which time it then proceeds to refresh every 60 seconds.

Further investigation revealed the following... when i set the refreshInterval value to "30" there was the same 120 second delay before anything appeared, after which time the chart then proceeded to refresh itself every 30 seconds as it should.

So, where is this magical 120 second delay coming from? Here's my XML file's "chart" code:

<chart caption='Calls Made per Rep' borderColor='899FB6' subcaption='(updated every 10 minutes)' canvasborderColor='DAE1E8' canvasBgColor='FFFFFF' bgColor='EEF2FB' numDivLines='6' divLineColor='DAE1E8' divLineAlpha='75' alternateHGridAlpha='30' decimals='0' baseFontColor='899FB6' outCnvBaseFontColor='444C60' toolTipBorderColor='DAE1E8' toolTipBgColor='FFFFFF' toolTipSepChar=' ' showAlternateHGridColor='1' alternateHGridColor='DAE1E8' dataStreamURL='FusionWidgets/data/RealTimeColumn1.cfm' refreshInterval='30' numDisplaySets='54' showLegend='1' showLabels='1' showRealTimeValue='0' showShadow='1' slantLabels='1' showPlotBorder='0' plotBordercolor='FFFFFF' plotGradientColor='' labelDisplay='rotate' canvasLeftMargin='50' showSum='1'>

There would be no where else a delay would come from, would there? The javascript doesn't have a delay built in, does it?

As an alternative to trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, if anyone could provide me with the full code for any simple sample chart that is refreshed each and every 10 minutes I would be forever grateful. I know it seems like a bizarre request, but that's all I want for Christmas...

Guest Angie

Hi,

Please find below the sample code:

<chart caption='Concurrent Users' borderColor='899FB6' subcaption='(Updates every 10 minutes)' canvasborderColor='DAE1E8' canvasBgColor='FFFFFF' bgColor='EEF2FB' numDivLines='6' divLineColor='DAE1E8' divLineAlpha='75' alternateHGridAlpha='30' decimals='0' baseFontColor='899FB6' outCnvBaseFontColor='444C60' toolTipBorderColor='DAE1E8' toolTipBgColor='FFFFFF' toolTipSepChar=' ' showAlternateHGridColor='1' alternateHGridColor='DAE1E8' dataStreamURL='http://localhost/MultiValue.asp' refreshInterval='30' updateInterval='600' numDisplaySets='15' showLegend='1' showLabels='1' showRealTimeValue='0' showShadow='1' showPlotBorder='0' plotBordercolor='FFFFFF' plotGradientColor='' labelDisplay='rotate' canvasLeftMargin='50' realTimeValuePadding='50' showSum='1'>

<categories>

</categories>

<dataSet color='B3C1D0' seriesName='Internal' showValues='0'>

</dataSet>

<dataSet color='6582A0' seriesName='External' showValues='0'>

</dataSet>

<styles>

<definition>

<style type='font' name='captionFont' size='14' color='899FB6'/>

<style type='font' name='subcaptionFont' color='899FB6'/>

</definition>

<application>

<apply toObject='Caption' styles='captionFont' />

<apply toObject='SubCaption' styles='subcaptionFont' />

</application>

</styles>

</chart>

Hope this helps.smile.gif

Thanks. I see you've set a refreshInterval of just 30 seconds, even though the data is only being updated every 600 seconds per the value of updateInterval. Why wouldn't refreshInterval = updateInterval? I'm just wondering what the point of refreshing is if we know there isn't going to be any new data yet?

Thanks.

Hi

From the documentation,

Update interval indicates the polling interval when data is retrieved from server and queued for update, but not applied on chart. Refresh interval means application of this queued data on the chart i.e., the chart is re-drawn to show all data contained in its queue.

Ref: http://www.fusioncharts.com/widgets/docs/Contents/DSC_Intervals.html

Hope this clarifies your question. :)

Srividya Sharma

Right, but doesn't it make sense then that refreshInterval should always be >= updateInterval? What's the point of refreshing when we know that there's nothing to refresh, per a larger value of updateInterval?