Sign in to follow this  
abbottmw

FusionWidgets and ColdFusion

Hi firstly im not a developer but a front end designer, so excuse my lack of technical knowledge.

We (our web developers) are building websites that have around 1,000 users logged in, these users need to see there own individual data presented to them in a nice graphical gauge.

The technology we are using is ColdFusion.

My question is using FusionWidgets would we have to create a separate xml doc for each user (which would be unmanageable) or does this app build the xml on the fly and pass that into the rendered page thus not filling up the site with xml docs?

Thanks in advance

I know you said you were a front end designer, and not a developer, but what ive done for this type of thing is create a coldfusion cfc that I use to get the information and send that to the chart.  If you are using the real-time guages, then i set the dataStreamURL attribute to point to the cfc.

If you arent using the realtime guages, you can use the FusionCharts API and use the setDataURL()  which points to the cfc.

You dont have to make 1000 xml docs.  You can have your cfc generate the data you need and send it back.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Matthew

Guest Madhumita

Hello Matthew,

Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas.

Could you please share some examples in the Forum for future reference of all the members?

Thanks again. :)

Okay I made a VERY quick example of using the guage and coldfusion.

I included a simple guage example that just randomly changes the numbers every 3 seconds by calling a component.

The other example you pass in an id in the url and it will return a specific number based on a query.  This was just a quick way to simulate different users.  this also uses the realtime data as well.

Hope this helps.

-Matthew

guage.zip

Guest Madhumita

Hello,

Thanks a lot for sharing your codes.

It will help everyone for future reference.

You rock!