Sign in to follow this  
fxingzhe

memory increases by calling setXmlData()

in my project ,  I need to  update my  charts'data every 3  secords,  so i fullfill it by calling setXmlData()  every 3 secord ;

however, I encountered  such a problem that I found  the memory usage was increasing in chrome,  i check memory by chrome's task manager.

what's wrong with it ? is there somthing wrong with setXmlData(), or how could i fullfill my task mentioned above.

expecting  your  help. :)

Guest Sashibhusan

Hi,

Could you please let us know, how you are calling "setXMLData()" method in every 3 seconds? Are you using setInterval(), setTimeout() functions?

If yes, please provide the screen shot of the memory usage from Chrome > Developer Tool > Timeline tab.

For more information on "Memory Leak due to setInterval()", please visit the link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14034107/does-javascript-setinterval-method-cause-memory-leak

Also, (if feasible) please provide a scaled down sample along with the statistical data of memory leak occurs at your end, to better look into your issue.

Awaiting your response.

absolutely right , setInterval is used for triggering ajax events,  setXmlData() method works in "success" callback function.

screen shots  collected by chrome developer tools is uploaded by  attach file.

schema code  refers to fusioncharts

function callback()

{

FusionCharts("myChartID").setXMLData(xmlStr);

}

setInterval(function(){

$ajax({

success: callback();

})

},3000);

i check the memory usage  by chrome's task mamnager, and  memory usage is  a bit  increasing, however , I can't judge  what leads to such      increase .

by the way , thank you for your  information on "Memory Leak due to setInterval()" , which inspires  me a lot .

expecting your guiding.

post-62383-0-17043500-1390289230_thumb.png

Guest Sashibhusan

Hi,

Thank you for your more inputs on this issue.

As per the screen shot that you have provided, the time line graph is kind of saw tooth. This means, eventually after a regular interval of time, the GC is cleaning up the memory.

Please note that on each anonymous function call, some memory is being allocated in the heap area and "setInterval()" will call the function again and again after a specified time interval, even if the previous function call not finish execution. So there could be a chance of not clearing the heap area for a period of time.

So, to get the performance a bit better, you could use "setTimeOut()" to call the function that invokes itself indirectly through setTimeout() after it completes the work it's supposed to do.

Please go through the link of Stackoverflow (provided in previous post), to have a clear idea on this approach.

Hope this helps!