Sign in to follow this  
madbrit

Difficulty changing data values

Hi All,

Been playing with the eval versions of both charts and maps. I can alter the XML values within the XML data file for the 'Sales Chart' Example... and it works fine upon refresh....

However, the World Map example is a different kettle of fish. I can chane the population data for any of the entities... with nothing happening on screen.

I also tried my own "map", one of the UK by altering the HTML, and what SWF map file it points to... map comes up fine... but the data entities arent shown on screen at all. I have ensured the entities are named correctly - as per map specifications..

Is this something to do with it being a demo verision, or am I doing something wrong?

Any thoughts would be greatly apprecaited.

Hi,

The evaluation version doesn't have any such restriction. Can you switch the debug mode to on to make sure that your updates are propagated to XML?

OK.. Will give the debug mode a try...

However... Just logged into my test site just now... and the data I had changed on one of the entitites (World Map) within the XML file is now turning up in the map correctly?

Seems to be some sort of refresh issue. If I shut the browser down, reload the page - the new data comes up ... as expected. If I simply press F5, the data does not refresh...

Will need to try the debug tool.. as the data in my UK example does not show... and it should... regardless of Refresh/new browser.

Any thoughts around the refresh... as this will be a problem for me... the XML file will changefairly often.

Cheers

Edited by Guest

So... got the UK map working as well... debug tool helped, as it is a refresh issue.

I was trying different things with the data.XML file, and it wasnt picking up changes I was making to the data entities.. I changed the name from say North East.. to NE... and finally to 1... and it worked... but only after shutting down the browser, and firing it up again.

This is an issue for me. Probably a simple work around.

Looking forward to next round of feedback :)

Cheers

hi,

Your XML is getting cached in the browser, hence showing earlier data. Can you please tell me if you are using JavaScript or ASP, PHP, ASP.NET or another other technology to embed the map? You need to add appropriate cache killer while assinging the XML file. Or you can put up a <meta> tag to stop caching the whole page.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

<META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I agree... it does sound like a caching issue. I am using Dotnetnuke as the content management system, and using a module (comes standard from DNN) called IFrame which frames another website from a URL. I point Iframe to the Firstmap.HTML web page on my server.

Hope that helps

Martin

I tried adding in the Meta tag below, with no success...I am wondering if I am adding this in to the correct place?

I added the following lines of code to the Firstmap.html document, between <header> and </header>  Is this correct?

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

<META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

If so, then it does not work.. I changed the map data for EA (East Anglia) data entity, and after hitting F5 (refresh), the old data still shows. If I close my browser, and re-log back into the site... the new data shows.

I also tried the following code which I found on one of the Forum sites... still no luck

<META http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache">

<META http-equiv="expires" content="-1"> <!--content="0"-->

<META http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">

<META http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-store">

Please let me know where the code should reside... and any changes to try as well

Many thanks

Martin

Edited by Guest

hi,

Can you please tell me what method you are using to render the chart? Using JavaScript or ASP.NET class?

For any of these you can stop caching the XML of the chart.

If you are using JavaScript ...

mapObj.setDataURL("yourXML.xml?noCahce="+new Date().toGMTString());

If it does not work please provide us the code where your are enbedding the map. We can workout something.