jwcrosby

giving me fits

I'm working with the example for "Plotting from Database." I understand what it is trying to do when accessing the sample Factory records. However, the building of the $strXML variable doesn't seem to be working for me, even though I've copied the code directly from the example. I've narrowed the problem down to the < and > characters in the code. For example, the code line in the documentation below will not echo anything:

$strXML = "";

If I remove the < and > it will echo the string.

I have fussed with the single and double quotation marks, and even tried using chr(60) and chr(62), but to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea of why I am not getting the final string? Because it's producing nothing, there is nothing to pass to the renderChart function and thus no chart is shown.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

I see that in my message the string from the example file doesn't even appear here. It should be:

$strXML = "[character here]graph caption='Factory Output report' subCaption='By Quantity' decimalPrecision='0' showNames='1' numberSuffix=' Units' pieSliceDepth='30' formatNumberScale='0'[character here]";

I have substituted "[character here]" for the less than and the greater than characters, hoping it would show up here.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

The $strXML variable returns XML string not just the simple string, echo must be echoing the XML but since it is using tag <chart> so it hides from browser if you view the source code of the page (right click->View Source) then you can see XML string.

Also could you please let us know what exactly you are getting?

* Is is just a white area instead of chart?
---> If it is just a white area then you would need to check your chart SWF path.
OR
* You are getting message like "No data to display" OR "Error in loading data"?
---> For this please check the XML.

Thanks for the reply, Rahul. I've worked on this some more and landed on using the PHP Class module and it's working fine. I can understand that approach better. My original problem may have been the pointer to the location of the SWF file was incorrect. Guess that doesn't matter because I have it working now.

Thanks again.

Jerry