avernet

chartObj.setDataXML is not a function

I am using FusionCharts 3.1, and set the XML for the chart with JavaScript with the setDataXML() method. It works fine, and the chart shows as expected. Later on the same page, I call the setDataXML() method again to update the chart, and get the JavaScript error "chartObj.setDataXML is not a function".

I added some debug code to FusionChart.js, in "else" part of setDataXML(). The variable chartObj correctly points to the object as expected, but setDataXML() is undefined on that object. Any idea of why this would be the case?

Alex

Sudipto Choudhury (7/7/2009)
Hi,

Could you please see whether you have set the RegisterWithJS parameter to "1" ?

That was it! I didn't have the RegisterWithJS=1, and in fact didn't even know about it before reading your message :). This the call to setDataXML() goes through and the chart "re-draws", but it isn't updated: even if the data I provide is different, I get exactly the same chart. Any reason why this could be happening?

Alex

A workaround is to just recreate the FusionCharts object every time I need to update it, instead of reusing it. Is there any downside in recreating the FusionCharts object this way?

Alex

Guest Rajroop

Hello,

In your update chart code simply write:

getChartFromId("chart_display").setDataXML(xmlData);

or if you have received the response text in URLEncoded form :

getChartFromId("chart_display").setDataXML(unesape(xmlData));

Note: You would need to render the chart ONCE bofore you can update it.

I hope this helps. :)

Rajroop,

Ah, you found it: I was calling render() every time after calling setDataXML(), and apparently when doing so the chart renders with the initial data. Like you said, render() must be called once, after the initial call to setDataXML().

Alex