isolationism

Add Tooltip, Hyperlink support to vLine

Hi guys,

We are using FusionCharts in our application to depict numbers as they grow on a timeline (x axis) using a Line Chart.

Because these numbers are tied to multiple, significant events that occur at precise moments in time on the timeline, we are using the 'vLine' element to indicate when those special events occur. This works very well with two exceptions:

1: vLines' explicit "in-chart" labels are not conducive to displaying more than a character or two without cluttering the chart when multiple vLines occur in a single chart (e.g. double-digits). We are currently using a numeric label as a reference to a kind of legend explanation contained elsewhere on the page, but it would be great to be able to display a tooltip with more information instead of the inline label.

2: As an extension to the tooltip request, the ability to associate a URI with a vLine and/or its label to take users to a more detailed view regarding that "special event" would also be helpful for conveying more detailed information than can be readily embedded into a tooltip (e.g. multi-line content, markup, etc.)

Thanks for all your continued hard work on FusionCharts!

Kevin Williams, UI Architect

Sendside, Inc.

Guest Madhumita

Hello,

If you could please provide us with the XML we can try and find an alternative to the issues.

Awaiting your reply. :)

Hi Madhumita,

Thanks for your response, and your patience waiting for my reply. My original request was while working on a "UI demo" of a product and now we're in production so the pressure's on me to wrap this up. :)

I'm happy to attach an XML sample. Let me explain the use case for you as well in case that isn't clear from the XML.

In short, we are using a chart to represent a "growth" timeline of multiple values. I have a form that I want to mail to people at irregular times over a time period, then report how many people have read the message, how many times it's bounced, etc. over that time period (using regular "human-readable" intervals, e.g. hours, days, weeks, months, whatever).

The issue is basically this: I want the equivalent of a "trend line" in the chart, but instead of a horizontal line, it needs to be vertical. This line doesn't actually represent a trend at all, but rather a specific event that occurred at that time. In the use case described above, these would be times at which the form was sent to a list of recipients; this is relevant to the reported data because it will explain increases in reported values.

Obviously, you already support all of that using the 'vLine' element. Thank you!

However, there are two additional pieces of functionality we would love to be able to support for vLines. In order of preference/urgency, they are:

1 - The ability to be able to assign a "toolText" label for a vLine element the same as can be done for a trendline > line element. This is important because there could be tens (or even hundreds!) of vLines per chart and we want to display as little as possible in the visible label (possibly including not showing one at all) but a comparatively large toolText value (e.g. likely between 20-80 chars).

2 - We would consider it an extra benefit if we were also able to assign a "link" value to vLines as well, as they correspond to specific events for which we have precise data -- unlike the values displayed at regular time intervals, which are interpolated totals and do not correspond directly to an event (therefore the ability to click them is not meaningful). In our case we would send them to a URL containing a report about that explicit event, obviously.

I have created and attached a slightly simplified XML file (package_simple.xml) that may help explain what we're trying to accomplish. N.B. there are "toolText" and "link" properties defined for each vLine to explain what those values might look like, but obviously there is no support for these features at the present time.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

package_simple.xml

Guest Madhumita

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. They are very important to us. I have forwarded this request to our developers.

Hopefully we might implement this with FusionCharts.