Sign in to follow this  
TheWitness

Missing Chart Types And Key Features

Hello Fusion Developers and Users. I have been using FusionCharts for a few years now, and there are a few Chart Types that are desirable, that do not exist currently. My experience comes from RRDtool, which although powerful for what it does, does not provide the variety of graph types.

First of all, missing chart type:

Multi-Series 2/3D Area with Stack and Line

Presently, you can create an Area Graph with Lines (and/or columns), but you can not Stack the Areas and include Lines at the Same time. In RRDtool, this is quite a common fair. If I am to emulate an RRDtool Graph, I need to have this functionality.

Also, another 'major' issue is Canvas ordering. Presently, the order of the Canvas is not respected. For example, if I use the Multi-Series Combination (Column, Area, Line) Chart, there is no way that I can place the Area (or Stack) at the back of the Canvas. It's always in front of the Columns. That's quite Ugly. In RRDtool, the Canvas is layered from back to front, and from the first to last items graph command (aka XML).

This is a somewhat fundamental concept that seems to be missing, at lest from this important Chart Type.

TheWitness

Guest Rishi Choudhari

Hello Fusion Developers and Users. I have been using FusionCharts for a few years now, and there are a few Chart Types that are desirable, that do not exist currently. My experience comes from RRDtool, which although powerful for what it does, does not provide the variety of graph types.

First of all, missing chart type:

Multi-Series 2/3D Area with Stack and Line

Presently, you can create an Area Graph with Lines (and/or columns), but you can not Stack the Areas and include Lines at the Same time. In RRDtool, this is quite a common fair. If I am to emulate an RRDtool Graph, I need to have this functionality.

Also, another 'major' issue is Canvas ordering. Presently, the order of the Canvas is not respected. For example, if I use the Multi-Series Combination (Column, Area, Line) Chart, there is no way that I can place the Area (or Stack) at the back of the Canvas. It's always in front of the Columns. That's quite Ugly. In RRDtool, the Canvas is layered from back to front, and from the first to last items graph command (aka XML).

This is a somewhat fundamental concept that seems to be missing, at lest from this important Chart Type.

TheWitness

Hi,

We're glad to know that you've been a regular FusionCharts user!

If one plots stacked area and lines in the same chart, the legibility of the chart is reduced to a great extent. Visually, it would be difficult to make out the difference between the lines and the borders of the stacked areas. I've attached a sample image to illustrate my point.

Secondly, if the area is behind the columns, the trend of the area chart gets obscured by the columns. See the next two images, where I have illustrated my point.

We've designed the charts to increase the comprehension of the data presented, and all the visual components are designed around this.

Let me know if I am clear.

Thanks,

:)

post-19690-0-85474900-1324620974_thumb.png

post-19690-0-71762600-1324620982_thumb.png

post-19690-0-66262000-1324620989_thumb.png