Sign in to follow this  
Hakan

Can't update chart with setDataXML method

Basically I've got a page with a chart rendering just fine (setDataXML method). On the page there's a link:

<p onclick="javascript:change();">Change!</p>

The function "change" uses setDataXML to update the chart. The XML used is a copy of the XML first rendered, but with some minor changes just to verify the update.

When clicking the link i get an error:

"Object doesn't support this property or method".

It seems like FusionCharts isn't registered with JavaScript, because the function FCrendered on the page never executes:

function FC_Rendered(DOMId)
{
   alert ("Rendered!");
}

The FC object is created with "1" as the last parameter.

I've found several posts on this problem in this forum and on the internet, and I've tried all the tips and tricks, but nothing seems to help.

I also found this in http://www.fusioncharts.com/forum/FindPost767.aspx:

5. Please make sure that you're NOT running the chart from local file system (C: , D:). Instead, run the chart from behind a server (localhost - IIS, Apache etc.). This is because the Flash Player security settings do not allow Chart to JavaScript interaction, unless otherwise specifically set.

Is this true? I run my testpage locally, and that might be the problem. So, in that case, this means that you can't script FS at all in local HTML-pages?

I need to use FS in an desktop application (with embedded IE browser control), basically loading the chart from local file system.

I've only tested the page in IE 8 beta 1 in "Emulate IE7"-mode.

Thanks for any advise.

-- H