shamasis

getChartFromId(chartId).setDataXML on chart in hidden div

Hello,

I tried to update a chart in a hidden DIV-Container via setDataXML. Is there a known issue about that? If the DIV is hidden there is no setDataXML-Function, if it is displayed, the function appears.

I tried it with FireFox.

Sebastian

Edited by Guest

Hello bs5,

The issue you are facing is due to the fact that when a chart is hidden, it loses a lot of its functionalities.

In technical terms, this is due to the Browser's and Flash Players' implementation of conserving resources by reducing the spatial footprint of an SWF movie when the movie is hidden or is outside the viewport.

The setDataXML() function is accessible to users only when the chart has fully rendered and is visible. Thus, when hidden, it is not in a 'rendered' state and this function becomes subsequently inaccessibly until the chart has re-rendered itself or has been made visible.

Do let us know in case you have any further query regarding this issue.

Is there a workaround for this?  Do we need to execute the code to set the data XML and render the chart again after the <div> is visible?  I think I'm running into this issue.  I make the <div> visible via a javascript tooltip and I end up with an empty area with no chart.

Hello lkelly,

Ordinarily, the chart gets re-rendered automatically once the div is made visible. However, problems might arise if the chart is made invisible by any process which removes the internal HTML.

Once you get the empty area with no chart, please right click on it and see if you see a message 'Movie not loaded.' in the context menu.

If you could send us the code you are using, it would be helpful.

Also, since you mention using a JavaScript tooltip, could you please elaborate on the code which you are using for the same? It would be much easier to track down the issue, then.

We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Edited by Guest

I think the sample code posted earlier in this thread is what I need.  I've integrated it into my design.  I was using the Walter Zorn javascript tooltip and there seemed to be some sort of incompatibility.  I could drop another Flash movie into that tooltip fine, but using the javascript code to render a Fusion Chart seemed to break it.