Sign in to follow this  
dbarkman

Blueprint Application wont run on Windows 2008/IIS7

Hi, I'm attempting to get the C# (ASP.NET) + MS SQL/MS Access Version Blueprint Application working on my server. My server is running Windows 2008 Standard SP2 64bit with IIS7. Also running SQL Server 2005.

I would like to get the blueprint app running against the SQL Server 2005 database eventually, but I'm trying to get it running against the Access database first. Here is what I have in my web.config file:

When I go to http://localhost/App/default.aspx, I get a "Server Error in '/' Application page with the following error:

ERROR [iM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Do I need to configure something different since I'm using 2008 64bit and IIS7?

Thanks!

David Barkman

I am disappointed that after 33 views, I have not received any replies to my query. My company is very close to making a large purchase of FusionCharts software. I will be the person to recommend the purchase, but cannot yet since I can't demo the software. If anyone from FusionCharts is reading this forum, please make an attempt to provide some support. I would like some suggestions over just 33 views and no suggestions. Windows 2008, SQL Server 2005/2008 and IIS7 is the environment we will be using FusionCharts in, I must get this demo working before I can recommend a purchase.

Thank You

David Barkman

Hi,

We apologize for the dalay . This seems to be a data connection issue in ASP.

There are some feedbacks that we have gathered from other database connectivity forums:

How are you connecting to the DB on the production server? DSN, DSN-less? If DSN, is the DSN setup correctly on the live server? If DSN-less, is the driver present? Does the live DB server have the same name, db??

Sounds like you have a bad connection string

Data source name not found and no default driver specified

I had this error and want to let you know how it was resolved.

First, this was an ASP web application using a vb 6.0 dll to get data from a sql server 2005 database on a 64 bit windows server 2008 enterprise (vista like) server. I could only get the dll to work in component services as opposed to simply registering it.

It all worked fine upon setup, but after four windows updates one night, the error above was posted in the event viewer, and the web app crashed.

Here is the resolution:

In a 64 bit windows server operating system, there are TWO odbc managers. When you pull up the usual menu for the odbc / dsn system, it is for the 64 bit odbc manager, and 32 bit applications (vb 6.0) will not work using these dsn's.

This is where the 32 bit odbc manager is:

C:WindowsSysWOW64odbcad32.exe

There are 2 versions of ODBC to worry about on 64-bit machines: the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version. So you have to Add or Change in 2 places to cover both types. Start - Admin Tools - Data Sources gets you to the 64-bit version; Start - Run -

C:WindowsSysWOW64odbcad32.exe gets you to the 32-bit version. Do all your adds/deletes/changes in both.

This same problem happened to me with VS2005 and a third party ODBC database. Essentially the same symptoms. I could preview data, but when I tried to run the app, it failed to access the data. The reason is that Vs2005 is a 32 bit app, but my app was being compiled as a 64bit app. So they used different ODBC managers and DSN's. When I changed the target CPU in the compile options to x86 (32bit), voila, problem gone!